in between bites & sips ...

thanks for stopping by! here's where i put various thought, quotes or stories. most will be brief, some may be extended - but all will be somehow connected to my world. enjoy your stay!



Monday, January 21, 2008

Ministry Day 2

It's Monday morning and we are about to have our first 'normal' day of the week. Sunday was certainly not typical compared to how it normally is for me.

After a devotion and worship we went to the work site and got right to work building our walls (btw ... MINE STANDS!!!!). Service starts at 11am in a different building but at the same location, so we went there - in our concrete-laden work clothes. What a great service - so many children from the neighborhood. It was fun trying to recognize the songs and sing along! Pastor Fred preached on ... tithing! Listening to a sermon in spanish was like listening to a radio station where you can only catch every 4th or 5th word. I could understand enough to track with him, but not enough to know how he got from point to point. Still - it was wonderful to see the congregation & many from the community we are ministering to.

It felt like the day was done - but it had only begun. We went back to our walls after lunch (btw ... MINE STANDS!!!!) and worked all afternoon until dinner time. I'm being reminded why I like preaching, it's much easier! Although, I've lost a couple of pounds and am getting rather muscular!

The evening service started at 8PM. Our team sang a couple of songs (in English) and Pastor David Crawford from Bellevue Grace in Nashville, Tennessee preached with a translator. There was a great (unusually great for this culture) altar call and I was able to pray for numerous people, inserting any Spanish word I could think of to fit (a whole lot of 'Jesucristo's).

Oh, did I mention I got to watch the 2nd half of the Pats/Chargers game & the 2nd half of the Packers/Giants game? Yep - that's me - just roughing it for Jesus!

I should sign off for now, as Monday begins - I'm giving the devotional in about 30 minutes.

No comments: