in between bites & sips ...

thanks for stopping by! here's where i put various thought, quotes or stories. most will be brief, some may be extended - but all will be somehow connected to my world. enjoy your stay!



Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Arachnaphobia

Sunday afternoon I was moving some papers in my basement and suddenly I pain shot through my left hand. I dropped what I was carrying, looking for the sharp object that had hurt me.

Nothing.

But, oh the pain! I've never felt anything like this before. It felt like a bee sting, but without the flutter of bee's wings as it sticks you.

I guessed that most likely I was bit by a spider. After a few minutes, I saw a dot in the palm of my hand, then a white circle forming around the dot, then a redness throughout my palm. My hand got a bit swollen and then the inevitable happened. The decision that has torn many a marriage apart - do I go to the doctor or do I tough it out?

Only whimps go to the doctor! Plus, it's Sunday. Plus, I had other things to do. Plus, only whimps go to the doctor!

But, it was Mother's Day. I decided to forgo the traditional debate with my wife and go to the hospital. This was my special way of saying 'I love you and respect your opinions' to my wife. (Also, I knew that if I didn't go to get it checked out, that if I felt any pain or discomfort for the rest of the day, I would get ZERO sympathy from my wife - but rather, get the 'I told you to go to the doctor' speech. yuck)

All in all, I'm glad I got it checked out. I got prescriptions in the event the pain worsened (every few minutes it felt like I was getting pricked again) and got a lot of information about the Brown Recluse spider which can be found in our valley (rare, yet present). Now, we feel a whole lot better about letting the kids play in the basement as well as what to look for if they ever get bit by a Brown Recluse.

So, thanks Mary Jo - you were right - it was a good thing for me to go to the doctor.

(although - only for the information we received, not because I needed to go!)

No comments: