in between bites & sips ...

thanks for stopping by! here's where i put various thought, quotes or stories. most will be brief, some may be extended - but all will be somehow connected to my world. enjoy your stay!



Wednesday, March 19, 2008

They took my trash!!!

This is an exciting day for me!

Last night, I put out the garbage, and this morning someone came and took it all away! Can you believe it! They took it ALL!!! Ever since being in Bible College and having to carry my trash down the hall it seems that garbage has been a problem for me. In New York we had to put the trash in a dumpster that would often be full to overflowing because the whole church used that dumpster. In Sharbot Lake we had to put a tag on each bag (a tag cost $1 each) and a local guy would collect them every Saturday - of course, if I didn't have any tags or didn't catch that guy before he passed by, that meant garbage sat in our laundry room for an extra week. In Oshawa the trash was only collected every 2 weeks, with limits as to how many bags they would accept - great for the environment, not so great for a family of 5 with stinky diapers that really can't wait 2 weeks to be collected!

Garbage troubles ... no more!

Because last week I finally gave in an signed our household up for garbage collection (I had been dumping it at the church dumpster ... old habits die hard!). They sent me a garbage can that is big enough for 3 garbage bags that they will empty every week!

Have you ever had something become important to you that you never thought would be significant? I know it's kinda crazy - but even a simple thing like trash collection is another reason I'm feeling so 'at home' in Liberty - trash collection is like how I remember growing up. We should never discount the familiar things that comfort us - in fact - the familiar things help provide a foundation that allows you to do the spectacular.

What familiar things do you have that perhaps you take for granted? They may seem trivial, but, then again, they may be the things that keep you happy and grounded so that you can excel in other areas of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that after so many years, you've got your trash problem solved. One difference to "home" is that we didn't have to pay extra to have our garbage collected -- it was included in our tax bill.
Anonymous (Mom)