in between bites & sips ...

thanks for stopping by! here's where i put various thought, quotes or stories. most will be brief, some may be extended - but all will be somehow connected to my world. enjoy your stay!



Wednesday, September 5, 2007

When does school start?

With the Fall semester starting up with so many students in the last few days, I can't help but remember what it was like to be one of those students! It was always a time with a full range of emotions - excitement, fear, optimism, pessimism, happiness & sadness - all rolled into one morning bus ride!

Ahhhh - those were the days!

But, at least I always knew when the 1st day of school was - something I never did get right for McGill's winter semester. Every January for my 4 years at McGill University - I managed to be unclear on when exactly the Christmas break concluded. My first year, I showed up a day early - walking into an empty classroom, wondering where the other students were. No one came.

The second year, if it weren't for a trip to the corner store where the cashier was a fellow student who asked if I were ready for school the next day ... I wouldn't have shown up until the next week!

You'd think by the third year, that I'd have it figured out - I mean - I'm a University student working on a B.A. with a Major in Linguistics and a Minor in Religious Studies! With my 2 concentrations of study, either I should be able to understand the English language, or God should be helping me get there on time!

Fall, no problem, but winter ...

So, in my third year - I'm so stressed about getting there for my first day that I don't sleep that night. Correction, I don't sleep until about 4AM, and therefore don't wake up until 8AM. No biggy? Well - when your first class starts at 8:30AM and you are 40 minutes from the school - not to mention the need to get dressed and take care of hygene issues - then, yes, it IS a biggy!

Admittedly, I did finally manage to get it right by my 4th year. I circled the date on my calendar. I confirmed with friends that I circled the correct date on my calendar. I knew the bus schedule. I knew the weather conditions. I went to bed at a reasonable time. I knew that at least 1 of the 6 clocks I set around my bed would be successful at waking me from my slumber in time to eat my breakfast (Cocoa Puffs, of course) and get to the bus stop in a timely manner.

I made it to class. *cheers wildly* It took four years to master it --- but I did it.

Unfortunately, the professor didn't make it - so - the class had to be rescheduled.

Doh!

No comments: